Z Algorithm
Разница между en4 и en5, 2 символ(ов) изменены
The topic will be the Z Algorithm, which I learned in this Problem (http://codeforces.net/contest/126/problem/B). There are some other solutions like binary search + hashing, but this one is quite nice. Anyway, first, a description of the algorithm and why it works; it is simple and makes a lot of sense (as all good algorithms are).↵

**Algorithm**↵

Given a string S of length n, the Z Algorithm produces an array Z where Z[i] is the length of the longest substring starting from S[i] which is also a prefix of S, i.e. the maximum k such that S[j] = S[i + j] for all 0 ≤ j < k. Note that Z[i] = 0 means that S[0] ≠ S[i]. For easier terminology, we will refer to substrings which are also a prefix as prefix-substrings.↵

The algorithm relies on a single, crucial invariant. As we iterate over the letters in the string (index i from 1 to n - 1), we maintain an interval [L, R] which is the interval with maximum R such that 1 ≤ L ≤ i ≤ R and S[L...R] is a prefix-substring (if no such interval exists, just let L = R =  - 1). For i = 1, we can simply compute L and R by comparing S[0...] to S[1...]. Moreover, we also get Z[1] during this.↵

Now suppose we have the correct interval [L, R] for i - 1 and all of the Z values up to i - 1. We will compute Z[i] and the new [L, R] by the following steps:↵

1. If i > R, then there does not exist a prefix-substring of S that starts before i and ends at or after i. If such a substring existed, [L, R] would have been the interval for that substring rather than its current value. Thus we "reset" and compute a new [L, R] by comparing S[0...] to S[i...] and get Z[i] at the same time (Z[i] = R - L + 1).↵

2. Otherwise, i ≤ R, so the current [L, R] extends at least to i. Let k = i - L. We know that Z[i] ≥ min(Z[k], R - i + 1) because S[i...] matches S[k...] for at least R - i + 1 characters (they are in the [L, R] interval which we know to be a prefix-substring). Now we have a few more cases to consider.↵

3. If Z[k] < R - i + 1, then there is no longer prefix-substring starting at S[i] (or else Z[k] would be larger), meaning Z[i] = Z[k] and [L, R] stays the same. The latter is true because [L, R] only changes if there is a prefix-substring starting at S[i] that extends beyond R, which we know is not the case here.↵

4. If Z[k] ≥ R - i + 1, then it is possible for S[i...] to match S[0...] for more than R - i + 1 characters (i.e. past position R). Thus we need to update [L, R] by setting L = i and matching from S[R + 1] forward to obtain the new R. Again, we get Z[i] during this.↵

The process computes all of the Z values in a single pass over the string, so we're done. Correctness is inherent in the algorithm and is pretty intuitively clear.↵

**Analysis**↵

We claim that the algorithm runs in O(n) time, and the argument is straightforward. We never compare characters at positions less than R, and every time we match a character R increases by one, so there are at most n comparisons there. Lastly, we can only mismatch once for each i (it causes R to stop increasing), so that's another at most n comparisons, giving O(n) total.↵

**Code**↵

Simple and short. Note that the optimization L = R = i is used when S[0] ≠ S[i] (it doesn't affect the algorithm since at the next iteration i > R regardless).↵

~~~~~↵
int L = 0, R = 0;↵
for (int i = 1; i < n; i++) {↵
  if (i > R) {↵
    L = R = i;↵
    while (R < n && s[R-L] == s[R]) R++;↵
    z[i] = R-L; R--;↵
  } else {↵
    int k = i-L;↵
    if (z[k] < R-i+1) z[i] = z[k];↵
    else {↵
      L = i;↵
      while (R < n && s[R-L] == s[R]) R++;↵
      z[i] = R-L; R--;↵
    }↵
  }↵
}↵
~~~~~↵

**Application**↵

One application of the Z Algorithm is for the standard string matching problem of finding matches for a pattern T of length m in a string S of length n. We can do this in O(n + m) time by using the Z Algorithm on the string T Φ S (that is, concatenating T, Φ, and S) where Φ is a character that matches nothing. The indices i with Z[i] = m correspond to matches of T in S.↵

Lastly, to solve Problem B of Beta Round 93, we simply compute Z for the given string S, then iterate from i to n - 1. If Z[i] = n - i then we know the suffix from S[i] is a prefix, and if the largest Z value we've seen so far is at least n - i, then we know some string inside also matches that prefix. That gives the result.↵

~~~~~↵
int maxz = 0, res = 0;↵
for (int i = 1; i < n; i++) {↵
  if (z[i] == n-i && maxz >= n-i) { res = n-i; break; }↵
  maxz = max(maxz, z[i]);↵
}↵
~~~~~↵

История

Правки

Rev. Язык Кто Когда Δ Комментарий
en5 Английский optimal_solver 2024-10-25 08:40:56 2 Tiny change: 'g steps:\n1. If i ' -> 'g steps:\n\n1. If i '
en4 Английский optimal_solver 2024-10-25 08:39:52 56
en3 Английский optimal_solver 2024-10-25 08:34:49 2 Tiny change: 'cation**\nOne appl' -> 'cation**\n\nOne appl'
en2 Английский optimal_solver 2024-10-25 08:33:48 10
en1 Английский optimal_solver 2024-10-25 08:31:47 4462 Initial revision (published)