Use an IDE in Competitive Programming | Part 1

Revision en2, by AliTavassoly, 2024-06-24 13:12:12

Hey folks!

Choosing an efficient IDE or editor is a common concern in competitive programming and other programming areas. There are also a lot of Codeforces blogs about that. Many of my students always ask me about this matter, so I created some content on this concern. I also encourage others to do the same and show the features of the IDE/Editor they are currently using.

After 10 years of experience and examining a lot of editors and IDEs, I am using CLion today. As you may know, CLion is an IDE by JetBrains. They also have IDEs with the same features and shortcuts for other languages like Java (IntelliJ) and Python (Pycharm).

There are two main reasons people try to avoid JetBrains (or similar IDEs):

1. The first one is that they are usually not free.
  2. The second one is that they are slow.

For the first one, note that if you are a student, you can access the student version of JetBrains. For the second one, follow me to see why they are worth it.

The advantages of using an IDE include numerous shortcuts that speed up your coding (which you can see in the video linked below). Another advantage is that they assist you in debugging. They can also catch compile errors and warnings before compiling! There are many other benefits that we will discuss soon.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd7-YG-xLVo

Tags clion, ide, editor

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English AliTavassoly 2024-06-24 13:12:12 74 Tiny change: 'not free**\n2. The s' -> 'not free**.\n2. The s'
en1 English Arpa 2024-06-24 03:56:49 1380 Initial revision (published)